The Climate Crisis is real. It is caused by human activity and fossil fuels. And it is the most pressing threat to the planet and all her residents. Here in the 11th district, we are particularly susceptible to longer, more frequent periods of drought, as well as more severe storms and flooding. To adequately address climate change, Qasim believes that we need to immediately invest in meaningful climate change solutions and mitigation, train the next generation of Green workers, and ensure environmental justice for the communities on the front lines of climate change. Qasim will:
- Lead by example and not take a penny of campaign funding from the fossil fuel companies that caused the climate crisis.
- Build on the record investments in green energy that President Biden championed in the Inflation Reduction Act.
- Invest in clean energy and infrastructure development in construction and transportation to get the United States to carbon neutral by 2030.
- End fossil fuel subsidies and increase the tax rate on oil company profits to fund community cleanup initiatives in Black and Latino neighborhoods.
- Immediately end fracking and the debunked science of ‘carbon capture.’
- Stop issuing new permits and leases for oil drilling on federal land, and immediately retire unused permits.
- Invest in climate and ecosystem resiliency and mitigation projects to harden infrastructure and homes against future climate disasters like fires, hurricanes, and flooding.